So... Today was my day for a bit of culture shock... Yes me.Culture shock, but Ithink it was more than that... a combo of culture shock and home sickness. Most of you reading this understand or can imagine how culture shock feels so I don't think that needs so much explaining. More the second part of homesickness... its not the type of homesickness where I want to jump on the next plane home (sorry rents) but more of missing the comforts of home. My dresser, my desk... just mostly my STUFF. Knowing where I could put everything and where everything goes. oh... and would you believe it... I miss my jobs.
The day started with me going to inquire about doing an internship at a local English school... That was an epic "FRENCH" failure. n the sense that they rejected my proposition of services in the stereotypical, nose in the air, french accent "NO"...So I trudged back home... feeling a bit like a failure and decided to try and raise my spirits by trying to make the bachelor pad more like home.
...Another epic failure. Turns out its not as nice as I thought it would be in my mind. Anyway by the time I organized things I realized it REALLY wouldn't flow as nicely as I thought, Selim arrived home...cue the tears... I think I was mostly worked up about the fact that I'm still not fully moved in and there is no special place for all my things. So (on the other stereotypical spectrum) Selim took me in his, very French, very European arms and reassured me in his very french accent that we would find more space for me in this place.
And that we did. We took the scooter and went around to the shopping center to look for some of the other essentials; phone and phone plan, bike and a dresser + mirror (ikea-type quality). We came home empty handed but thats not to say we failed (YAY!). We did find a dresser and the type of mirror we both liked and decided to go back tomorrow with his very spacey van.
So I feel more calm. Excited to be more moved in and settled. More realxed.
Now all I have to do is undo the design disaster I crated in our TV room and rearrange his desk...again. uhga.
The good things are:
1. tonight is a game night which means tomorrow is mostly free
2. we will get the dresser tomorrow
3. he allows me to figure things out on my own, because he knows if I don't do it or see it for myself I will always be wondering and that would bother me MORE than the feeling of failure I endure by doing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment