Thursday, September 9, 2010

From South Africa to France

So first off WELCOME TO MY BLOG!!! It has been a while since I've attempted to do one of these... and now, as some people are afraid I'm never come back state side, I figured this may be a bit useful for us to all stay in touch...even with Skpe, Facebook, E-mail, the Telephone, etc etc. 

My first order of duty is to update everyone on my travels in South Africa.  It was something which I know, as I am not a writer, I cannot express with words... which is why I have set up a separate and PUBLIC site for everyone to view my pictures from the trip.  It is there that I will put the most detail and information.  So please take the time to explore this site. 

South Africa was defiantly life changing.  Although as my mother put it best "your life is in two worlds...you want to volunteer and wear high heels".  The most eye opening experience was how little people live with.  And live "happily" they do.  Houses made of cardboard, dirt floors, crime, racism, outdoor community bathrooms, unemployment, bare feet, etc etc... but behind all these hardships is their FAITH.  They are a people of DEEP rooted faith.  From the young to the old, their faith is strong and glorified through song, dance, worship, fellowship and prayer.  

I had the pleasure of traveling  with 22 people form 3 different countries.  Germany, South Africa and USA (New York State).  I think that a quote from the blog of the US leader, Rick Cowles, said it best in his blog about the trip "I have truly valued the way in which we came together and stayed together despite the challenges of culture, nationhood, gender, race, theology and generation.  When we were at Hobbiton, Julian our trainer spoke of what it took to build up a team: the commitment to keep everyone safe and to "be there" for one another, mutual trust, and thinking of the needs of others first."  That pretty much sums up the tight bond we have formed between each other.  and ya know what else... it was EXCITING to be with people my age who not only go through the motions of practicing their faith but also LIVE by their faith.  It was rejuvenating. 

To find out more about this trip check out these sites (click on the underlined words)
-Day by Day blog of South Africa Trip
Information about the Mission

So I made it back to the US and after going through a bout of mild depression; time change, coming off the high of being around people I genuinely enjoyed, missing South Africa and all the inside jokes form our group, I adjusted to life at home.  Work, family time, work work work, friends, work work work sleep, etc etc.  It was nice to be back home.  Spend time with my close friends and enjoy their company.  And then before I was completely unpacked I was packing up again!

A three country flight and I'm in France once again.  For those of you who don't know I have been dating a wonderful man named Selim, for about 2 years.  It has been long distance for a long time and now we are trying to get our lives aligned...at least by being in the same country. So whats the plan you ask?! Well the vague plan: move and find a job.  The detailed plan: TBA...sometime in the future.  I'm here for three months and will hopefully have a job by then, return to the US, get my visa and jet back to France to continue my new job...but I've learned not to put all my eggs in one basket so I'm constantly checking out other opportunities both here in France and abroad... after all I'm TooYoungToSitStill!  haha.

Yesterday was fun, we went shopping essentials for changing this bachelor pad into something with a few more comforts of home...like bathmats, hangers, new water glasses (American sized!), pump hand soap.  Also did the essentials for food and toiletries; salad, fruits, veggies, fish, shower gel, a loofah, etc.

Today I'm trying to catch up on my TO-DO list; including revising my resume, making this blog, uploading pics to a public site, and making a poster to be an English tutor. 

So to summarize:
-check out the picture blog, have fun exploring
-look at the other web sites to find out more about the trip to South Africa
-make comments and check this often to know the latest from TooYoungToSitStill

No comments:

Post a Comment